Wellbutrin While Pregnant – Dangers to Unborn FetusDecember 14, 2011
What is Wellbutrin?
Wellbutrin is an antidepressant medication manufactured by GlaxoSmithKline. Wellbutrin is commonly prescribed to treat depression, anxiety disorders, obsessive-compulsive disorder, and even in some cases to help individuals quit smoking. Wellbutrin is slightly different than its SSRI counterparts including Zoloft, Prozac, Paxil, and Lexapro. This means that while it shares many of the same characteristics it also has its different side effects and complications.
Wellbutrin While Pregnant
Wellbutrin, along with the other SSRI antidepressants, is a Pregnancy Category C drug as denoted by the United States Food and Drug Administration. Pregnancy Category C drugs are those that have been tested on pregnant animals and have shown damage to the unborn fetuses. Pregnancy Category C drugs do not carry adequate evidence of damage to human fetuses. This can be for two main reasons. The first is that the drugs have not been extensively tested on human subjects, and the second is that they may not have shown the same damaging results.
Wellbutrin Birth Defects
Some potential birth defects that may be caused by Wellbutrin use during pregnancy may include:
- Coarctation of the Aorta (CoA) – Coarctation of the Aorta (CoA) is a congenital birth defect affecting the aorta. Infants suffering from coarctation of the aorta (CoA) must deal with a narrowing of the passage through the aorta, largest blood vessel from the heart.
- Aortic Valve Stenosis (AVS) – Aortic valve stenosis (AVS), also known simply as aortic stenosis occurs if the aortic valve in the heart becomes abnormally narrow.
- Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome (HLHS) – Hypoplastic left heart syndrome (HLHS) is a rare birth defect, present at birth (congenital). In patients suffering from hypoplastic left heart syndrome (HLHS), the left portion of their heart is seriously underdeveloped.
- Mitral Valve Stenosis (MVS) – Mitral valve stenosis (MVS) is a rare heart condition where the heart’s mitral valve is stenotic (narrowed).
- Interrupted Aortic Arch (IAA) – Interrupted aortic arch (IAA) is a rare heart disorder that typically occurs along with ventricular septal defect (VSD), ductus arteriosus, or more rarely aortopulmonary window ortruncus arteriosus.
Wellbutrin Birth Defects Lawsuit: Speak to an Attorney
Many new parents ask themselves what was the cause of my child’s birth defects? Did it happen during pregnancy? The antidepressant Wellbutrin may be linked to causing the development of birth defects in unborn babies, infants, and children when their mothers took antidepressants while pregnant.
Our law firm is handling individual birth defect lawsuits against drug and pharmaceutical companies and currently accepting new Wellbutrin cases across the nation. If your child was born with a birth injury that you believe may have been caused by taking an antidepressant like Wellbutrin during pregnancy, then you should contact our law firm as soon as possible for a free confidential review of your potential birth defect lawsuit case. All cases are handled on a Contingency Fee Basis (no attorney’s fees or expenses charged unless we recover for you.© Willis Law Firm for Drug Attorneys. Replication strictly prohibited without written consent.